Monday, December 6, 2010

Tempus fugit? (Ridiculously clichéd, I apologize)

It has only begun to hit me that it is already the end of the semester. Two more days of class, but a massive amount of work that will probably trample me alive like Hannibal's elephants did to the Romans. (I simply adore those elephants - Polybius's account of the Second Punic War is actually fascinating and I highly recommend it).


I did have a meeting with Ellen today to discuss my Roman History paper that left me feeling much more confident and pleased about what I have been working on (an examination of the portrait coinage of Julius Caesar in the early months of 44 BCE before his death and its placement within the broader context of Caesarean self-representation). She was very supportive and approved of all my ideas and theories, gave me a couple things to think on, and then told me we should have dinner sometime and talk about numismatics. I always forget that Ellen is actually extremely kind and supportive under her very intimidating and imposing intellectual exterior. She's absolutely wonderful!


What is worrying me the most at the moment is my presentation for Latin tomorrow on Cicero's De Fato. The work is fragmentary, mildly incomprehensible (at least to a non-philosophical person like me), available to me in only one very literal (and even more incomprehensible) translation, and there are hardly any secondary works or commentaries written on it. To say that I am terrified would be an understatement. I've been trying for weeks to try to get this presentation rolling, but I just have no idea how to convey this extremely complex philosophical content in simple and understandable English prose. WHY CICERO, WHY??? My only consolation is that even in grad school, unless I decide to specialize in it, I will probably never have to read another philosophical text of Cicero's again! The rest of the night is going to be me married to my copy of the text, and hopefully something will come out of that.


Greek class was also a gem today. Will likely procrastinate later this evening and post some of those tidbits.

No comments:

Post a Comment