Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Paper topics

Am debating whether I should write my final research paper for Ellen/Roman History on coinage in the Social War (potentially awesome conclusions could be made - not a widely studied subject) in the context of how it helps establish an independent identity for the rebelling allies, or focus on early Imperial portrait coinage and its role in solidifying Augustus' claims to power. 


Or do I not write about coinage at all? Mostly I just would not know what else to do. Clodia/Lesbia? Only that would be a bit of a cop-out considering we spent an entire conference on her portrayal in Catullus and Cicero. I certainly will never write another paper on Sallust (too many painful memories from last year's stolen computer/backpack incident when I had to recreate 15 pages of lost essay, rewrite all of my research notes, and buy Columbia University's library very expensive replacement books). I've already done work this semester on Cato and the Gracchi.


We have an annotated bibliography due on Friday. I have a thesis and bibliography for the Augustan topic already, but if I want to write on something else, ideally I should decide by tomorrow so I have enough time to do the annotations. Bleargh.


In an attempt to find a GIF of crazy-eyes!Octavian from the tv series "Rome" to demonstrate my current mood, I inadvertently discovered a livejournal community with Vergil/Horace slash fanfiction. Internet, you are one weird world.

No comments:

Post a Comment