Tuesday, November 16, 2010

This is kind of a silly thing to get excited about but...

The Classics department holiday party planning is in the works!!! Sonia wants all of us third-year Greek students to memorize one of the epigrams we worked on for our anthology projects, and recite it, in Greek (in meter!), and then in our own English translation. The likelihood that I will forget something and embarrass myself a tad is moderately high, but regardless, it's going to be lots of fun. Lindsay and I proposed to Sonia our collective thoughts on how we could FOR SURE incorporate modern reality television in a classical context (Growing Up Gracchi, Pimp My Chariot, Are You Smarter Than A Barbarian, etc etc). We're dorks, plain and simple.


Greek today involved me enthusiastically defending the LSJ entries for several translations that were up in the air. Was teased a fair amount for that, but I retain my stance! μά is not always used with negative assertions! A fairly long digression also ensued over the technicality of the word πέλεκυς, which, on a basic level, means "axe", though the term can be applied to both sacrificial and battle axes (wherein lies the problem - what kind of axe would have been used in this specific context?). Fun times to be had in academia.

No comments:

Post a Comment